Somerville Medical Centre
69 Gorsey Lane, Wallasey, Merseyside, CH44 4AA
Telephone: 0151 638 9333
Fax: 0843 290 5809
Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month (March)
This month is ovarian cancer awareness month. This type of cancer mainly affects women post-menopause, however the cause is unclear. 21% of cases are linked to major lifestyle risk factors, such as smoking and obesity.
Some of the symptoms associated with ovarian cancer are also present in other conditions such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome, which can make diagnosis difficult.
- Increased abdominal size/persistent bloating
- Difficulty eating/feeling full
- Changes in menstrual cycle
- Painful sexual intercourse
- Pelvic/abdominal pain
- Needing to urinate more often/more urgently
- Weight gain
- There are approximately 4,000 deaths from ovarian cancer each year, which means roughly 11 women each day.
- Two thirds of women are only diagnosed in the late stages, when the cancer has already spread to other parts of the body.
- Ovarian was the sixth most common cancer for females in the UK (2015).
- There are approximately 7,300 new cases of ovarian cancer in the UK each year.
08:00am - 08:00pm
08:00am – 06:30pm
07:00am – 08:00pm
08:00am – 07:00pm
07:00am – 06:30pm
08:00am - 12:00noon [PRE-BOOKED HUB APPOINTMENTS ONLY]